From design problem
to designed solution.

Coffee on the go is more popular than ever — about 7 million paper cups of it are consumed every day in the UK. Yet less than 1 in 400 of those cups gets recycled. It’s partly chemistry — the polyethylene that stops the cup getting soggy makes recycling difficult, and it takes a special process to separate the plastic from other paper waste. That’s why G . F Smith is partnering with CupCyclingTM by James Cropper to offer a solution by design.

From disposable cup
to beautiful paper.

Using CupCycling technology, we’re taking 90% of the waste from each cup and converting it back into FSC certified paper fibre. This means every sheet of Extract in 380gsm paper contains at least 5 upcycled coffee cups. The remaining 10% of waste — which is plastic — will become something else entirely. It’s a zero waste process, so the more Extract that gets used, the fewer cups go to landfill or incineration. The CupCycling solution has required a unique collaboration between consumer, recycler and papermaker.

From avoidable waste
to conscious consumption.

Recycling is just the start of reducing waste. G . F Smith’s Exact Sheet Policy, means paper can be bought to the nearest single digit (as long as the order is more than 25 sheets) so only the amount needed is ordered, minimising paper waste. And Extract has been developed to work exceptionally well with the latest digital printing technology, so only the amount needed is printed, minimising ink waste.

From single commitment
to broader change.

Upcycling addresses the problem, not the cause. So, the creation of this exceptional FSC certified paper is just a start to reducing plastic consumption and the impact it has on our environment. Changes in our methods of production and day-to-day operations — including the installation of solar panels at our factory in Hull — are also helping us to reduce our carbon footprint by more than 90 tonnes of CO2 a year. We’re also a proud partner of the Two Sides initiative helping to ensure that paper’s sustainable qualities can be enjoyed well into the future. As a company, we are resolute in finding ways to minimise and reduce the environmental impact of our business activities.

There’s one final point.
This is a paper we had to make,
but hope to discontinue.

Extract by itself is not the solution to the world’s coffee cup problem, but it is our contribution to try and tackle a global design problem. Ultimately, smart design will create a sustainable solution to the challenge presented by coffee cups and if we’re successful, we’ll be able to discontinue Extract all together. Until then, this new range is our way of meeting the challenge by creating something beautiful
from nothing.